Monday, December 31, 2012

Dar-winning

See what I did there? I know, I know...

Anyway, Mum and I made a getaway to Darwin (Nothern Territory, Australia for those of you playing at home) for a few days and I was certainly surprised by what I found.

When you're there you forget it's a state (sorry, Territory) capital and it has more of a large country town feel about it. Since the wet season started early this year it was also a heck of a lot greener than I expected it to be, given that when you drive through the North West area of WA it's all low lying scrubland and dry.

We did an all day tour of Litchfield National Park stopping by giant cathedral and tombstone termite mounds, Wangi falls (closed for swimming due to the heavy rains and croc potential) and finally got to take a dip at Florence Falls which was well deserved after Mum and I trekked to the top of the Wangi falls (1.7km) in the midday heat! 
We also did a second day tour to Kakadu National Park (which is world heritage listed) to have a look at some Aboriginal rock art and take a cruise down the Yellow River for a spot of croc watching. At first I was like 'meh, crocs, whatever..' but there's something about when a crocodile ever so slowly surfaces from under the water and eyes off your boat like a free buffet that made it a little more exciting.

It was a good (but hot and humid!!) break, but it's good to be back home just in time to celebrate New Years Eve :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave some love:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...